You would never expect a whole grain chocolate cake to be so delicious! Rich chocolate flavour and lots of crunchy crusty bits. Its a sweet treat with all the benefits of fresh whole grains. We use our pancake mix because it is milled finest. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream and a hot cup of coffee. Heaven.
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cups plain yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 oz unsweetened baker’s chocolate
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F, use convection if you have it; lightly grease a bundt pan or two round cake pans
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining wet mix ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Chocolate mix: Chop butter and chocolate into small pieces and melt together in a double boiler* stirring until smooth; then stir in sugar and cool a few minutes
- Final batter: whisk together chocolate and wet mix, then combine dry mix, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Fill pan(s)
- Bake about 45-50 minutes at 350°F for bundt, 25-35 minutes at 375°F for layers or until the tops JUST spring back. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven, set in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack
- Decorate with your favourite old fashioned icing if you like
* If you've never used a "double-boiler" it's easy. Simmer water in a saucepan. Put a metal or glass/pyrex bowl on top so it sits above the water. Viola! that's a double boiler. Now you can melt ingredients together at a consistent, low temperature. This link has a nice explanation with pictures: http://bakingbites.com/2009/09/how-to-make-a-double-boiler/
Makes one bundt cake or one 2-layer cake