Here's a base recipe for ancient grain muffins using vegan baking techniques that can be embellished in many ways—see our other recipes for inspiration.
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1¾ cups soy, almond or rice milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice or cider vinigar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F, use convection if you have it; lightly grease muffin or loaf pans
- Mix flax seed with 1/4 cup water and let it thicken for 15 minutes
- Wet mix: combine flax paste with remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- If you are adding other ingredients, combine them with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Fill muffin cups close to top
- Bake 18-22 minutes, or until the tops JUST spring back. Do not over bake or muffins will be tough
- For loaves, divide into two 5 x 9 loaf pans and bake at 375°F for 25-30 min
- Remove from oven, set in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack
Makes 12-16 muffins or 2 medium loaves