A classic restored — such a lovely departure from the usual modern blueberry muffin made with sickly sweet cheap pasty cake. This is grains and berries in natural harmony.
- 2 large eggs
- ½ stick (4 tbsp) butter, melted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1¾ cups plain yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups wild blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F, use convection if you have it; lightly grease muffin pans
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Other ingredients, combine blueberries with wet mix in the large bowl
- Final batter: combine dry and wet mixes, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Fill muffin cups close to top, sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until the tops JUST spring back. Do not over bake or muffins will be tough
- Remove from oven, set in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove to cooling rack
Makes 12-16 muffins or 2 shallow loaves