This makes a lovely and different Thanksgiving side dish, or a great breakfast topped with cheese and eggs. And much more nutritious than if it was made with commercial corn meal.
- 4 large eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large onions
- 6 cups fresh (or frozen) organic corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°F, use convection if you have it; lightly grease a 13 x 9 baking dish
- sauté the onion for a few minutes, then add corn and thyme, sauté a few minutes more and remove from heat
- Wet mix: in a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth
- Final batter: add onion/corn mixture to wet mixe, then add dry mix, folding gently until no dry spots remain. Do not over mix. Do NOT beat smooth.
- Fill pan and bake 40-50 minutes until the tops JUST spring back. Do not over bake.
- Let it cool and serve right out of the pan
Serves 12-14 as a side dish